Saturday, April 4, 2009

4 April trip out into the countryside

The Cowans and I decided on a country jaunt today, via Henderson, the train to Waitakere township and then the bike ride North to Kumeu. We covered 35 kms on our bikes today, the short 7.5 km run to Henderson, train ride, and then 10 kms to Kumeu.This is us finally at Henderson platform. The usual trip to Henderson along the river path was a good way to get going, on another crisp Autumn morning, with the tide half in. Then we negotiated the railway station, attempting to get to the platform, with escalators not working. Found a lift eventually that took one bike at a time, and then got on the station.

I brought my trusty thermos of herb tea - raspberry today - out from my panniers, and we managed to down a cup before getting to Waitakere.

Offloaded at the Waitakere station and ready to go on. . .
As you can see, crisp clear blue skies, and a light wind made for perfect cycling.


One of me taken by John who took turns with the camera. It was a different experience negotiating the kerb with traffic doing 100kph right beside you.
Much of the way was gentle slopes.
with occasional steep climbs that Naomi and I went up on our feet.
Then there's the thrill of coming down again.
Leaves on the turn, and vineyards covered up.

And the final approach in to Kumeu at last.
Carriages Cafe in Kumeu has two old railway carriages done up as restaurant spaces, but we chose the outdoor area for our club sandwiches and coffee.


and then through the township to get back. I believe John was scolding me for not being careful on this shot.
Creatures of every shape and size on view - this was a dragon we passed exiting Kumeu.
and some of the many cows.
We had to negotiate past hedge cutting tractors as well, all par for the course when in the country.
Love this shot over my shoulder as the Cowans come up in the distance.
When we finally got back to Waitakere township, we went to the only dairy to buy iceblocks, and found these neat bike 'racks' carved into the concrete.
That's my iceblock in the foreground.
ON the train again, the bikes deserve their own ticket.

and these are the movies that got taken today. John took this one on the carriage on the way home.


I got the camera next, and was surprised when I came in through the door . . .



and when we got off in Henderson and headed back along the river walk, I got a shot of them cycling up behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. You will need to write in English though.