Monday, January 18, 2010

Every which way for the summer holidays

Two of the Handlebras were at Waihi beach for some of January - this is Helen and I on our way to Flat White cafe for dinner, on a balmy evening.
. . . and the next day we cycled up to Bowentown and had a coffee in the only cafe we could find at that end of the beach.
I went on to Lake Rotoiti, where the cycling was limited if you didn't want to take on the busy highway. Not wearing a helmet because it was a 10kph zone in front of the bach.


I did, however, wear a helmet on this stretch of road. . .
. . . scary stretch of road negotiated with logging trucks and large vehicles with boats, 100kph zone, just to go get the paper from this cute little shop. I had eyes in the back of my head and ears on full alert.



The other Handlebras were doing more challenging rides up near Waiwera and we have all planned to return to that area and do it together. The gravel portions of the track will be useful in preparing us for the Rail Trail in March I'm sure.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting to read about a 100 km/h speed limit on what appears to be a fairly narrow road.

    What happened to speed limits in NZ ? I seem to remember that the limit was 50 mph (which on metrification changed to 80 km/h) even on the motorways when I lived there in the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS a fairly narrow two-way road, and the open road speed limit is 100 km/h. Although the siding allows a wee bit of space in SOME cases, around corners, where it really matters, there is none. The 50 km/h applies only to urban developed areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell a lie! Looking at one of my photos in close up I see that it is an 80 km/h zone because it goes around the edges of the lake. The 100 km/h finishes at the entrance to our wee road. It certainly still FELT like 100 km/h.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. You will need to write in English though.